Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Reflection for week 10/1-10/5

Not much to say for this week.

I definitely enjoy getting to do the Hyogen Photo Story. It was an interesting experience that I felt expanded my understanding of the lecture material. I also felt a little more comfortable with the language because I was no longer constrained to the structure that grammar worksheets go for. I understand their importance, but I feel without the creative flow, it just becomes another pointless exercise.

And to that, I feel that the way the grammar worksheet was handled this week was actually quite interesting and a little more helpful than the normal sheets. Perhaps I'm just not in tune with the voice of the grammar worksheets, but when it came to translating the works of my classmates, it made a lot more sense to me and I was actually able to translate with ease. It was quite a refreshing change of pace from the absolute punishment that I feel grammar worksheets normally are.

I still echo my though that more listening type exercises would be extremely beneficial for me. Movies and the like, not conversation with classmates. It's nice working with the classmates, but sometimes there is a tendency to lapse into English when doing so. And I know that I'm guilty of doing this.

I must also say, I wasn't able to locate a Japanese student for the questionnaire. I know it's due later on today, but due to schedule problems, I wasn't able to go to coffee hour or meet with the Japanese tutor. Hopefully there's something else I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment